Food and Baking at Bronx Science

A photographic dive into food culture at Bronx Science.
After school, students with a creative passion for culinary crafts use the nutritional science’s laboratory room for the Edible Arts Club.

Whether it’s cooking in clubs after school or enjoying the food trucks outside the courtyard, food is an integral part of the culture at Bronx Science. Hosted gatherings, such as the Senior Brunch, allow students the opportunity to relax with bagels, eggs, and more. Those with a passion for the culinary arts can foster and refine their talents using cooking equipment available for the Baking Club or Edible Arts Group. Working in teams or individually, students support each other in creating delicious masterpieces. Both eating and baking promotes community within Bronx Science, allowing students to relieve their stress through social interactions and food-centered creativity.

About the Contributors
Rossitsa Mina Petrova, Staff Reporter
Rossitsa Mina Petrova is a Copy Chief for ‘The Science Survey.’ She enjoys representing her school and community through journalistic pieces that unveil hidden wonders often lost to the eye. For her, journalism is a way to educate, illuminate, and entertain. She loves capturing heartfelt and wondrous occasions in photography that are often lost when the moment passes. For Mina, journalism is about preservation and bringing to light stories that otherwise would have been kept hidden in the dark. She is invigorated every time she searches for an idea. She prefers the excitement of in-person interviews, carrying her notebook and pen everywhere she goes. She feels the necessity to always be prepared to document a story. Journalism never takes a day off, she likes to say. In her free time, Petrova busies herself with extracurriculars at school and on her own time. She enjoys cross county, track, painting, and writing poetry. Mina loves journalism to the extent that she is considering pursuing it as a career. She wants to keep the magic of print newspapers alive and continue to represent small communities with journalistic writing that covers both domestic and international stories. Her main interests in her writing are about global warming and the environment. Her articles focus on both problems and solutions to the climate crisis on a small and large scale. Mina believes that journalism that educates and inspires positive change is vital for today’s fickle world.
Katherine Hong, Staff Reporter
Katherine Hong is a Graphic Designer and People Editor for the ‘Observatory’ yearbook.  She is also a Staff Reporter for ‘The Science Survey.’  Doing various arts and crafts has always been her favorite pastime throughout her life.  Katherine has experimented with all kinds of crafts, ranging from sewing, to crocheting and making rainbow loom bracelets.  Along with her interest in the arts, she also pursues an interest in journalistic writing.  For Katherine, she admires how journalists perfect the art of taking their findings and turning them into captivating stories for readers that make them want to read more.  She also has a passion for taking photographs that tell stories, since they immerse the viewers in the narrative and allow them to connect with the stories on a more personal level.  Katherine plans on majoring in medicine in college, while keeping journalism and photography as recreational activities in the future.
Ayshi Sen, Staff Reporter
Ayshi Sen is an Editor-in-Chief for ‘The Science Survey.' Ayshi loves writing journalistic articles because they allow her to write in a way that is both creative and informative. Ayshi particularly enjoys writing editorials and spotlight articles because she believes there is a story to tell about everyone and everything. Ayshi hopes to use her writing to shed light on stories that are often overlooked and as a way to amplify minority voices. Ayshi believes good photography is essential for journalistic writing because it enriches the piece by providing a face to the subject. Outside of journalism, Ayshi enjoys conducting stem cell research and organizing events with the Student Diversity Committee. In college, Ayshi plans to study medicine, conduct scientific research, and explore scientific journalism.
Kathy Le, Staff Reporter
Kathy Le is an Editor-in-Chief and Chief Graphic Designer for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook. She enjoys writing and designing her own yearbook spreads, where she enjoys adding small details and using colorful language in her articles. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey' and enjoys writing long form journalistic articles for it. She is amazed at how skilled journalists can describe hard truths and make them engaging. Kathy also enjoys taking journalistic photographs where life is captured in vivid ways. In her free time, Kathy likes reading and creating digital art. She wishes to keep art as a hobby and pursue the medical field in the future.
Pritika Patel, Staff Reporter
Pritika Patel is an Editor-in-Chief for ‘The Science Survey.’ She believes that journalism serves as the vital connection between people and the world around them. The vastness of the journalistic world is something that she is fascinated by and cannot wait to continue exploring. Pritika believes that journalism provides her and others the opportunity to explore various perspectives, opinions, and stories on a plethora of subjects. This multifaceted view is what makes journalism appeal to her the most. She is also interested in studying the tangible impacts that news sources have upon our society. With the rise of fake news, she believes that ethical newspapers such as ‘The Science Survey’ have become all the more essential. Outside of school, Pritika enjoys exploring new ideas through reading and traveling. In the future, she plans to pursue a career in either the legal field or political journalism. With interests in political science, international relations, and public policy, Pritika is sure that journalism will always play a vital role in her life and will be closely connected with whatever direction she decides to pursue.
Gabriel McCarthy, Staff Reporter
Gabriel McCarthy is an Editorial Editor for ‘The Science Survey,’ and he helps improve the quality of the editorials of his classmates. He has a passion for journalism, and he loves to read and write engaging articles. He loves journalism because it can tell an engaging story while also informing the reader at the same time. He also loves taking photos for the newspaper and believes that photos can capture a part of a story in a way that writing cannot. Outside of school, Gabriel is a nationally-ranked fencer and spends his time either doing homework or practicing. He believes that editorials are a reflection of the author and that they can tell a much deeper story. In college, Gabriel wishes to study history and maybe go into that line of work. In the foreseeable future, he has no intention of quitting journalism and hopes to be able to spread information in some capacity even after he graduates.
Abigael Sidi, Staff Reporter
Abigael Sidi is a Staff Reporter for ‘The Science Survey.' She has loved writing for years and has joined every newspaper she could since elementary school. She’s always loved journalism for its investigative angle that digs deep into what may appear to be an obscure and unknown story. She has always appreciated the devotion of journalists to their topics and their determination to provide not only a compelling and enjoyable piece but also an informative one that successfully educates readers. She firmly believes in the importance of journalism and keeping it alive. She also values photojournalism for the visuals that it provides to readers; Abby thinks that giving readers an optical perspective of a story always helps draw them in and retain the information they read. Outside of school, she loves to read mystery, thriller, and romance novels, as well as listen to music. In fact, she will frequently do both at the same time. She also loves to travel to new places with her family and discover new food dishes as she goes. Her journalistic experiences have led Abby to have high respect for all journalism and journalists, and she hopes to continue it in some capacity in the future. Even though she hopes to pursue a career in politics, she recognizes the advantages that journalistic skills will provide for her and will always have a love for the art. She is confident that she will look to see the newest articles on The New York Times every morning for years to come.