An Immersive Dive Into the East Village of Manhattan

An in-depth profile of the history and culture of one of the most engaging and exciting neighborhoods in all of New York City.
Here+is+a+photo+of+the+exciting+East+Village+streets.+
Amanda Ro
Here is a photo of the exciting East Village streets.

More than 60,000 people consider the East Village their home due to the boundless energy and endless opportunities it offers, which creates the perfect blend of a thrilling and dynamic setting. There are a variety of activities in the East Village that can make an adventure out of any average day. 

History of the East Village

The East Village has been home to working class immigrants since the 1800s. The village was originally owned by Dutch Governor Peter Stuyvesant. For a time, it was known as “Kleindeutschland” (Little Germany) because of the vast German population that immigrated there. Francis Morrone, a professor at NYU and the author of  ‘A History of the East Village and Its Architecture,’ said the East Village “was ‘Kleindeutschland,’ or Little Germany, for several decades. German immigration really took off after 1848, and changed New York in many positive ways — for instance, it made New York into a great musical center almost overnight. Germans also provided the skilled craftsmen that allowed New York buildings to be lavishly ornamented for the first time. As immigrants began to flock in, Yiddish became a widely spoken language and the Jewish population flourished. 

The East Village is known for its punk and street style flair. Around every corner is intricate public art and graffiti, which makes the area unique and fun. “Architecturally, the East Village is motley. You won’t find masterpieces there. But you find something just as important, which is vivid reminders of the area’s varied history,” said Morrone.

Here is an example of architecture in the East Village and how it may not be intricate but still has an interesting flair. (Amanda Ro)

Emma Goldman, a famous Jewish anarchist from Lithuania, moved into a tenement in the East Village in 1903 before being deported to the Soviet Union in 1919. Outside her building at 208 East 13th Street, hangs a shining plaque that memorializes Goldman’s spirited movements and devotion to her ideals. Emma protested against capitalism and the war and advocated for women’s rights. 

Over time, the East Village became populated with musicians, changing the essence of the neighborhood from a home for new immigrants to a cultural hub. Morrone also said, “I moved to New York not for school or a job, but solely because of my love of the arts. In the ‘70s and ‘80s, the East Village was a cheap place to live, and that’s why so many artists — painters, dancers, filmmakers — lived there.”

As a young, doe-eyed girl from Michigan, Madonna moved to the East Village in 1977 with nothing but the clothes on her back. In 1983, while sitting on the steps of her building at 230-232 East 4th Street, Madonna caught the eye of Richard Corman, a photographer who offered to take photos of her around the East Village. In 2013, Richard Corman published the book Madonna NYC 83, referencing all of the photos he took of Madonna before she was famous. In reverence to the photos, Richard Corman’s mother, a casting agent, encouraged Madonna to audition for a movie. Eventually, Madonna landed the role as Susan in Desperately Seeking Susan, marking the start of her acting career.

While I was walking around the East Village taking pictures of the apartments where notable figures like Emma Goldman and Madonna once lived, I noticed how the same apartments now house ordinary people. Before she became famous, Madonna was an ordinary girl with a big dream like many others who once lived in the neighborhood. The East Village is an inspiring part of the city where artists can express themselves, lives can begin and dreams can come true. The legacy of the East Village still plays out today where aspiring artists and small businesses can thrive. 

Food

The complexity of the food options in the East Village is endless. In my family, ordering takeout on Friday nights is a necessity, but there is always a struggle of deciding where to eat. At 349 East 12th Street is an Italian restaurant known for their fresh and homemade pizza called Motorino’s Pizzeria, and it is a classic spot to dine. The pizza is slightly thin but has a soft and fluffy crust with a plethora of possible toppings. My personal favorites are the cherrystone clam pizza with a white sauce base, topped with mozzarella and fresh clams, and their Brussels sprout pizza, made with the same white sauce base and topped with Brussels sprouts. 

Another great spot for Italian food is Gnoccos at 337 East 10th Street. The restaurant has a charming and cozy interior atmosphere and a lovely little area for outdoor seating. The ambience of the restaurant is enhanced by the illuminating lights and the flourishing plants. The irresistible burrata is the perfect appetizer along with the tagliolini pasta with black truffle as a main course. The pasta is fresh and appetizing and is served in significant portions. 

Business is always booming at Haile at 182 Avenue B, often requiring customers to call in for a seat. The authentic Ethiopian restaurant is run by two local sisters who are friendly and welcoming. Traditional Ethiopian food uses a spongy bread called injera in place of utensils to pick up the food. The injera is some of the best in the city, shipped out directly from Ethiopia. “I could eat here every night,” said East Village resident Jody Ro. “From the buttery shiro wot to the fresh injera along with the warm hospitality, every bite is delicious and we are welcomed like family.”   

A small spot at 160 First Avenue called Sabor a Mexico Taqueria is a family run business that serves Mexican food using authentic family recipes. They thrive with their takeout business but have a charming, little spot for indoor seating. The restaurant is decorated with fun, dainty lights and colorful papel picado, a Mexican papercut banner. 

The original 7th Street Burger at 91 East 7th Street serves one of the best smash burgers in New York City. There are many other 7th Street Burger locations all over the city, but none of them live up to the original on 7th Street. Their menu is brief with a couple options. They are most known for their smash burger and there is also a vegetarian alternative. They also serve plain fries and their most unique option, their loaded smash burger fries, which consists of their classic fries topped with hamburger meat, cheese, onions and their classic sauce. 

Ama Raw Bar is an elegant place for a tasteful dinner at 190 Avenue B. Ama means mermaid in Japanese and their interior is inspired by mermaids and the ocean. Their setting is very dark with few illuminating lights and during the day their major source of light is sunlight. Along with their elegant indoor seating they have plenty of beautiful outdoor seating. Their menu consists mainly of plentiful fish such as fresh oysters and my personal favorite, their crispy tuna rice, the perfect blend of crunchy rice and spicy tuna.  

On a hot summer day, Davey’s Ice Cream at 309 East 9th Street is the perfect place to refresh, but is also worth the taste even in the cold winter. Davey’s has been around since 2013 and is known for their delectable ice cream and baked treats. Davey’s ice cream is labored with intensive care over a four-day long process and is always served with a smile. The ice cream is creamy and fresh and the baked treats, such as cookies and brownies, are gooey and appetizing. Its colorful and bright exterior welcomes and attracts many customers looking for a tasty selection. Davey’s also collaborates with many local small businesses in the East Village to create new flavors. “Davey’s is my favorite ice cream place in all of New York City,” said local resident Lemuel Colon. “The creaminess of the ice cream is like nothing I have ever had before and it keeps me coming back for more.” 

After a long workout or just a hot day, a smoothie is essential. My favorite smoothie place is called Juice Vitality on 192 First Avenue, which makes the best fresh smoothies. They also have smoothie bowls, protein shakes, juices and bubble tea. They serve classic smoothies such as strawberry banana, healthy juices with kale and spinach, juices with fruit and vegetables for cleansing and smoothies and bowls with a base of acai or pitaya. 

Vintage Clothing

Because of the East Village’s artistic and cultural appeal there is a variety of unique and alluring clothing stores that sell one of a kind items. L Train Vintage, a chain thrift store with a spot in Brooklyn, also has a location at 204 First Avenue that is known for their denim and streetwear vintage items. Their items range from fairly affordable to slightly more expensive but is a classic spot for everyday vintage clothing. 

AuH2O at 84 East 7th Street is a picturesque secondhand clothing store that carries an assortment of affordable and feminine clothes and is also the perfect place to sell old clothes. The store is small but packed with well curated items. There is a five dollar rack outside and inside the interior walls are packed with clothing. There is also an assortment of jewelry ranging from earrings, rings, bracelets, pins, necklaces and belts. In the heart of the store is a beautiful bird cage with necklaces hanging all around it sold for very affordable prices. 

Decorated with vibrant graffiti is The East Village Vintage Collective at 545 East 12th Street, which contains two floors packed with a collection of affordable vintage clothing. The shop has a retro style to it with clothing that is inspired by the 70’s and 90’s with a fun, modern appeal. Aside from clothing, the store sells vintage postcards, old movies, comics, art and tons of fun trinkets to decorate a home. The store is a hidden gem which fully encapsulates the East Village’s punk-rock, chaotic style. 

Public Parks

Tompkins Square is a bountiful public park nestled in the center of the East Village. The park was named after Daniel D. Tompkins, the former Governor of New York from 1807 to 1817. The square park was made public in 1834 and is historically known for the 1874 Tompkins Square Park riot. The riot began as a peaceful protest for unemployed workers fighting for their rights, but ended with violence from the police. Tompkins Square Park, although not the most picturesque park, never has a dull moment filled to the brim with people along every corner. 

El Sol Brillante at 522 E 12th Street is a beautiful community garden packed with fresh greenery and flourishing vegetables. El Sol Brillante was created by locals in 1977 and has a detailed, handmade iron fence. The fence features animals, flowers and the beautiful sun and is a stunning piece of art. 

When the weather gets warmer, more people become motivated to go on runs. The John V. Lindsay East River Park Track at East 6th Street is a 400 meter track along the East River. Overlooking the river and the beautiful city skyline, the East River track can make running less of a chore and more of a pleasure. The track is perfect for early mornings when the sun has just risen or times of dusk when the sun is about to set. 

The East Village is the perfect place to spend a thrilling day with an adventure at every corner. Its rich history and lively, modern atmosphere make it a lively destination, and I hope you consider taking a trip to the East Village and discovering all it has to offer.

Amanda Ro, Staff Reporter
Amanda Ro is a Staff Reporter and Arts & Entertainment Editor for ‘The Science Survey.’ Amanda finds journalism interesting because it allows writers to voice the truth and shed light on important matters. Journalism is also entertaining because it uncovers captivating stories and lets writers cover important events and make connections with people for a story. Amanda appreciates photography, as well, because photos can convey a powerful story. In her free time, Amanda enjoys running, reading, painting, listening to music, and traveling the world.