We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

Lounging Around: Bronx Science Students Enjoy Campus Life

Part of the wonderful appeal of Bronx Science is that it is one of few New York City high schools with a real campus where students can relax, walk, and play sports before school, during free periods, and at the end of a long day.
Three students enjoy having lunch together on the benches in the courtyard.

Unlike many New York City high schools, Bronx Science has a beautiful campus for students to relax, chat with friends, play volleyball and frisbee, and have lunch. With the start of Spring, the campus is lively and full again. Whether in the morning, during lunch periods, or after school, Bronx Science students can be seen lounging on the grass, enjoying the green senior benches, and strolling around the courtyard. 

About the Contributors
Liza Greenberg, Staff Reporter
Liza Greenberg is a Managing Editor and Advisory Editor for ‘The Science Survey.’ She is responsible for editing and her classmates' articles, and keeping reporters on track with deadlines for publication. Liza enjoys writing about issues facing the school community, conducting interviews with students and teachers, and trying to piece together information. She prioritizes thorough, investigative journalism. She also likes to travel around the school and attend school events taking photos, capturing unique and beautiful moments. Liza is a member of the Bronx Science LOP and president of the National Organization for Women Club. Outside of school, Liza volunteers at Montefiore Hospital, and works in a biochemistry lab. She is interested in medicine, and wants to pursue a career as a doctor or medical researcher.
Mariam Samake, Staff Reporter
Mariam Samake is a Chief Graphic Designer and a Copy Chief for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' She enjoys writing stories that inform readers about current events. Outside of journalism, Mariam enjoys art, graphic design, journaling, editing and also photography.  In college, Mariam is hoping to pursue a field involving business, law, or economics. However, she will continue to pursue her interests in journalism, photography, and art.
Astrid Grimskog-Tran, Staff Reporter
Astrid Grimskog-Tran is a Graphic Designer and an Academics Section Editor for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' Astrid finds that the most appealing aspect of journalism is discovering people’s stories and being able to share them with the world. Outside of school, Astrid enjoys reading books, watching movies, and spending time with her family, as well as solving various types of puzzles and exploring the city while Geocaching with her sister.
Amanda Ro, Staff Reporter
Amanda Ro is a Staff Reporter and Arts & Entertainment Editor for ‘The Science Survey.’ Amanda finds journalism interesting because it allows writers to voice the truth and shed light on important matters. Journalism is also entertaining because it uncovers captivating stories and lets writers cover important events and make connections with people for a story. Amanda appreciates photography, as well, because photos can convey a powerful story. In her free time, Amanda enjoys running, reading, painting, listening to music, and traveling the world. 
Arianna Hwang, Staff Reporter
Arianna Hwang is an Editorial Editor for ‘The Science Survey.' She enjoys reading and writing articles as she believes it is important to hear the opinions of different people and read their life stories. Arianna thinks that journalism is a great creative outlet and that it gives people an opportunity to be heard. She values photographs that can both tell a story and add to the article by providing more realism to the piece. Arianna also thinks that photographs are important visuals that can capture the attention of the audience. In her free time, Arianna watches movies and shows on Disney+ and Netflix including ‘The Good Place,’ ‘Cruella,’ ‘Encanto,’ and ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events.’ She also reads dystopian and fantasy books on Libby. In the future, she plans on traveling all around the world and sampling different cuisines, similar to The Amazing Race. Arianna plans on pursuing a career in the medical field, running a blog on the side, and cooking as a hobby.
Rossitsa Mina Petrova, Staff Reporter
Rossitsa Mina Petrova is a Copy Chief for ‘The Science Survey.’ She enjoys representing her school and community through journalistic pieces that unveil hidden wonders often lost to the eye. For her, journalism is a way to educate, illuminate, and entertain. She loves capturing heartfelt and wondrous occasions in photography that are often lost when the moment passes. For Mina, journalism is about preservation and bringing to light stories that otherwise would have been kept hidden in the dark. She is invigorated every time she searches for an idea. She prefers the excitement of in-person interviews, carrying her notebook and pen everywhere she goes. She feels the necessity to always be prepared to document a story. Journalism never takes a day off, she likes to say. In her free time, Petrova busies herself with extracurriculars at school and on her own time. She enjoys cross county, track, painting, and writing poetry. Mina loves journalism to the extent that she is considering pursuing it as a career. She wants to keep the magic of print newspapers alive and continue to represent small communities with journalistic writing that covers both domestic and international stories. Her main interests in her writing are about global warming and the environment. Her articles focus on both problems and solutions to the climate crisis on a small and large scale. Mina believes that journalism that educates and inspires positive change is vital for today’s fickle world.
Tasnim Haque, Staff Reporter
Tasnim Haque is the Chief Graphic Designer and Editor-in-Chief of ‘The Observatory’ yearbook.  She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' To her, journalistic writing is a creative outlet for expression.  She firmly believes that journalism has the power to illuminate diverse narratives, fostering unity among people. To Tasnim, the appeal of journalistic photography lies not just in narrating stories but in capturing and preserving them for future generations. Beyond her academic endeavors, Tasnim indulges in her passion for South Asian music. She is currently in her fourth year of dedicated practice in Hindustani Semi-Classical music, focusing heavily on popular music. Her enthusiasm for music aligns with her desire to learn from the rich tapestry of others' experiences. Looking toward the future, Tasnim aspires to delve into the realms of psychology and neuroscience during her college years, with a keen interest in cognitive science. She firmly believes that being a journalist and graphic designer will enable her to explore stories that offer profound insights into the vast spectrum of human capabilities and limitations. Through her chosen path, she aims to uncover the greatness within the human spirit and share these compelling narratives with the world.