We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

World Languages at Bronx Science

Exploring World Language classes in Bronx Science through photography.
Here, Ella Stanley ’24 leads a presentation in Advanced Placement Spanish.

One of Bronx Science’s greatest prides and joys is its variety of World Language classes. These encompass numerous languages such as Spanish, Chinese, French, and even Latin, offering a myriad of different levels including Regents, Honors, Advanced Placement, and conversation. The third floor World Languages hallways are adorned with a plethora of artistic student projects ranging from comics and portraits to posters and decorated masks and puzzles. The annual door decorating contest allows students to display their cultural and artistic talents while simultaneously freshening up the interior of our school. The United States has historically struggled with world languages education, but here at Bronx Science, our courses are challenging, engaging, and informative.

About the Contributors
Rossitsa Mina Petrova, Staff Reporter
Rossitsa Mina Petrova is a Copy Chief for ‘The Science Survey.’ She enjoys representing her school and community through journalistic pieces that unveil hidden wonders often lost to the eye. For her, journalism is a way to educate, illuminate, and entertain. She loves capturing heartfelt and wondrous occasions in photography that are often lost when the moment passes. For Mina, journalism is about preservation and bringing to light stories that otherwise would have been kept hidden in the dark. She is invigorated every time she searches for an idea. She prefers the excitement of in-person interviews, carrying her notebook and pen everywhere she goes. She feels the necessity to always be prepared to document a story. Journalism never takes a day off, she likes to say. In her free time, Petrova busies herself with extracurriculars at school and on her own time. She enjoys cross county, track, painting, and writing poetry. Mina loves journalism to the extent that she is considering pursuing it as a career. She wants to keep the magic of print newspapers alive and continue to represent small communities with journalistic writing that covers both domestic and international stories. Her main interests in her writing are about global warming and the environment. Her articles focus on both problems and solutions to the climate crisis on a small and large scale. Mina believes that journalism that educates and inspires positive change is vital for today’s fickle world.
Mia Yang, Staff Reporter
Mia Yang is a Graphic Designer and a Student Life Section Editor for 'The Observatory' yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' Mia enjoys the creative freedom that comes with graphic design, as well as providing and reading unique perspectives on all forms of journalism. She loves the still imagery and frozen perspective that photos take on, each and every one serving as a microcosm of memories. Mia is a member of the Bronx Science Speech and Debate team, as well as an active participant in the Science Research program at Bronx Science. During her free time, she loves to play recreational pickleball and spend time with her family. She can easily see herself pursuing a computational field in college, such as the ever growing field of computer science. She will also continue to pursue photography and graphic design, as she wants to continue her creative endeavors throughout the rest of her career.
Sofia Fernandez, Staff Reporter
Sofia Fernandez is a Managing Editor and Graphic Designer for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' Sofia believes that journalistic writing allows us to take on new perspectives. She also finds journalistic writing to be interesting and informative because it educates the reader about what the journalist is trying to convey in their writing. Photography really speaks to her heart. She isn’t afraid to take new photos of things that she finds interesting and that’s what she loves about it. Photography allows us the opportunity to capture a moment and cherish it as time goes on. Whether it’s photography or journalism, both allow us to demonstrate our creativity. Outside of school, Sofia pursues a variety of hobbies. These include listening to music, playing sports such as soccer and badminton, drawing, taking photographs, reading, and watching shows/movies. One of her favorite movies is Coraline because it has a lot of interesting fan theories behind it and its level of suspense makes it appealing. Another movie she enjoyed watching was La La Land, because it is based in Los Angeles, California and that is where she wants to be to pursue her future career. In college, she plans on studying either film or criminology. A future career that interests her after college is being a film director. It is her dream career because she has always wanted to be in the film industry and feel the liveliness of being on a set.
Katherine Hong, Staff Reporter
Katherine Hong is a Graphic Designer and People Editor for the ‘Observatory’ yearbook.  She is also a Staff Reporter for ‘The Science Survey.’  Doing various arts and crafts has always been her favorite pastime throughout her life.  Katherine has experimented with all kinds of crafts, ranging from sewing, to crocheting and making rainbow loom bracelets.  Along with her interest in the arts, she also pursues an interest in journalistic writing.  For Katherine, she admires how journalists perfect the art of taking their findings and turning them into captivating stories for readers that make them want to read more.  She also has a passion for taking photographs that tell stories, since they immerse the viewers in the narrative and allow them to connect with the stories on a more personal level.  Katherine plans on majoring in medicine in college, while keeping journalism and photography as recreational activities in the future.
Nora Gupta, Staff Reporter
Nora Gupta is a Chief Graphic Designer and an Athletics Section Editor for 'The Observatory' yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' Nora believes in artistic expression and writing sovereignty. She enjoys creative and informative writing as well as using her photographs to enhance her writing. Nora enjoys “painting a picture with words," following this mantra with a disciple's devotion. She loves to use imagery and refined rhetoric in her writing, along with giving character to the people, objects, or events that she writes about. Aside from her academic writing in school, Nora writes for her own amusement and creative expression by writing novellas, prose, and poetry. She views writing as a captivating form of art that allows her to explore a multitude of perspectives. Nora aspires to pursue a future as a writer or in a humanities field in college.
Kate Hankin, Staff Reporter
Kate Hankin is an Editor-in-Chief for ‘The Science Survey.’ In her journalistic writing, Kate likes to share her interests such as food, music, current events, politics, and movies. She enjoys the journalistic process of researching for her articles as well as taking photos and interviewing Bronx Science students. Kate is also a Social Media Editor for ‘The Science Survey’ and a photographer for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook. In her free time, Kate loves to bake, read, listen to music, and go on long walks in the city. In the future, Kate hopes to study history and statistics in college and work on a college newspaper.
Gabriel McCarthy, Staff Reporter
Gabriel McCarthy is an Editorial Editor for ‘The Science Survey,’ and he helps improve the quality of the editorials of his classmates. He has a passion for journalism, and he loves to read and write engaging articles. He loves journalism because it can tell an engaging story while also informing the reader at the same time. He also loves taking photos for the newspaper and believes that photos can capture a part of a story in a way that writing cannot. Outside of school, Gabriel is a nationally-ranked fencer and spends his time either doing homework or practicing. He believes that editorials are a reflection of the author and that they can tell a much deeper story. In college, Gabriel wishes to study history and maybe go into that line of work. In the foreseeable future, he has no intention of quitting journalism and hopes to be able to spread information in some capacity even after he graduates.
Arianna Hwang, Staff Reporter
Arianna Hwang is an Editorial Editor for ‘The Science Survey.' She enjoys reading and writing articles as she believes it is important to hear the opinions of different people and read their life stories. Arianna thinks that journalism is a great creative outlet and that it gives people an opportunity to be heard. She values photographs that can both tell a story and add to the article by providing more realism to the piece. Arianna also thinks that photographs are important visuals that can capture the attention of the audience. In her free time, Arianna watches movies and shows on Disney+ and Netflix including ‘The Good Place,’ ‘Cruella,’ ‘Encanto,’ and ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events.’ She also reads dystopian and fantasy books on Libby. In the future, she plans on traveling all around the world and sampling different cuisines, similar to The Amazing Race. Arianna plans on pursuing a career in the medical field, running a blog on the side, and cooking as a hobby.
Astrid Grimskog-Tran, Staff Reporter
Astrid Grimskog-Tran is a Graphic Designer and an Academics Section Editor for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' Astrid finds that the most appealing aspect of journalism is discovering people’s stories and being able to share them with the world. Outside of school, Astrid enjoys reading books, watching movies, and spending time with her family, as well as solving various types of puzzles and exploring the city while Geocaching with her sister.