Restaurant Review: Jin Ramen in Hamilton Heights

With the rise of ramen noodles and Japanese dishes, finding an enjoyable spot that you can count on is difficult in New York City. See why the chain of Jin Ramen restaurants in New York City is one of the best options.
Jin Ramen in Hamilton Heights on 148th & Broadway in Manhattan is known for its ramen and rice bowl dishes. (Photo Credit: Diego Lozano / Unsplash)

Nestled on the corner of the vibrant streets of Hamilton Heights in Manhattan on 148th Street and Broadway, Jin Ramen emerges as a culinary oasis. With its unassuming facade and cozy interior, Jin Ramen beckons both the curious passerby and the seasoned food enthusiast. Join me as we delve into the soulful world of ramen at Jin Ramen, where every slurp is its own representation of Japanese cookery.

There’s nothing Manhattanites love more than eating out and spending quite a bit of money on a good meal (or so it seems). It all boils down to where to go. When walking through the Upper West Side on a warm night, I find that the most appealing place to eat is a packed restaurant. At Jin Ramen, where prices are as affordable as restaurant-served ramen can be, it’s an excellent choice for a casual dinner any night of the week.

Before ramen became such a well-known meal, the dish’s roots trace back to what New Yorkers are most known for: three-minute preparation and an on-the-go, high-sodium meal. Considering the speedy and unhealthy lifestyle of New Yorkers, they loved it!

Ramen began its journey in the U.S. with instant noodles. This is not shocking considering Americans love not having to cook. Ramen quickly became a cheap fast food. According to Sammy Lou, a student publication writer, when David Chang’s Momofuku Noodle Bar in New York City opened up in 2004, more traditional versions of it began to rise in popularity. After that ramen restaurants began to open up all around. Lou cites The Ibis World Market research company and its findings that 3.9% average ramen restaurants opened up each year from 2019 to 2022. 

Jin Ramen Hamilton Heights or any of the Jin Ramen chain restaurants will both provide a good investment and aesthetically pleasing scenery. The restaurant boasts a tastefully adorned ambiance, especially within its interior. From the time you walk into Jin Ramen Hamilton Heights you’re met with the settling, peaceful aura of the place. 

Jin Ramen Hamilton Heights is one of the several Jin Ramen restaurants in New York City. The restaurant holds its business in a Columbia University owned building meaning it serves a number of Columbia University students. Some may argue that the ownership of Columbia University is the reason for the restaurant’s cleanliness. Nevertheless, that simply makes it all the better.

Jin Ramen offers a delightful culinary journey through the heart of Japan. As a ramen lover, I embarked on an adventure to this cozy establishment, eager to savor their renowned offerings. From the moment I stepped through the door, I was captivated by the inviting ambiance and the delicious scent wafting from the kitchen. With each swirl of steam rising from the bowls, anticipation built, and promised a flavorful journey. Peaceful dim lighting contrasted with the dark brown interior, iron cast staircase, dark toned tables and chairs. Along with this are sudden scents of well cooked soups of all kinds. 

Hanging in the establishment are garments of Japanese art and text such as the Maneki-Neko (“beckoning cat”), considered to bring good luck to the owner of the restaurant, and several cartoon images with characters illustrated eating ramen or describing it as “otherworldly.” These banners with symbols and the logo of the restaurant are displayed even as you approach the restaurant, with banners hanging along the brim. However, the banners and posters wouldn’t seem to compliment the restaurant so well had it not been for the perfectly balanced lighting.

The lights are distributed all over the restaurant with circular bulbs ranging in size depending on the location.While on the second floor you are greeted by more dinner-like, fancy furniture as the center tables are wooden and the lights of the center table are larger with wooden nets for light shades.

Immediately after walking in, I was greeted by a small friendly face. It was a young girl with glasses, and purple crocs. As it was my first time, she offered me the option to build my own ramen bowl. “Building your own is always more appealing because you pay for exactly what you’re getting.”  I waited with my order of the Chicken Gyoza Dumplings and simple curly noodle Shio soup with broccoli. I was delighted by the need to use chopsticks. I dined with my sister. The meals were pleasantly plated with perfect portions to avoid one getting too full, yet still without leaving displeased.

The meal was served in a traditional ramen/soup bowl with a spoon and chopsticks. Accompanied by a napkin and water, it felt like the simplest restaurant without the need to be over the top. Never had a restaurant felt as though less was more. As a nighttime customer, I think  the restaurant is much more enjoyable after sunset, when the serenity of the streets reflects the inner ambience. 

A restaurant is often more than just an opportunity to dine in. With that, during my first experience taking out, I was given enough soup base for two or possibly three people. The restaurant urges customers to save their soup and warm it up another time, and I can assure that it does in fact taste just as good. All in all, when working with Jin Ramen Hamilton Heights, each order whether dining in or out, is the utmost peaceful experience. Dining out is most enjoyable, but oftentimes when one eats out they’re met with the guilt of knowing it was in fact the unhealthy choice. However, Jin Ramen provides the feeling of a content stomach and mind. The menu provides a wide variety of dishes that are healthy as well.

Jin Ramen brings the wonderful art of not only wonderful dishes but also remarkable service. 

Jin Ramen leaves an indelible impression, a token to the artistry and passion that is shown in every aspect of its offerings. Whether seeking comfort in a steaming bowl of traditional tonkotsu or exploring the flavors of inventive ramen creations, this culinary gem in Hamilton Heights stands out in the world of Japanese dining in Manhattan. With each visit, Jin Ramen promises not just a meal, but a soothing, fulfilling experience, leaving customers eager to return.

Jin Ramen leaves an indelible impression, a token to the artistry and passion that is shown in every aspect of its offerings. Whether seeking comfort in a steaming bowl of traditional tonkotsu or exploring the flavors of inventive ramen creations, this culinary gem in Hamilton Heights stands out in the world of Japanese dining in Manhattan.

Gabriela Tejeda, Staff Reporter
Gabriela Tejeda currently serves as an Arts & Entertainment Editor for 'The Science Survey.' She interprets journalistic writing as the art of telling a real-life story in its most fictional form. While many people may enjoy the plot and exhilaration of non-fiction stories, they may not always compare to the fictional style of journalism. In the field of photography, Gabriela sees a tone of voice, atmosphere, and even beauty in simple images. Photographing something is like capturing a beautiful moment that, when taken well enough, can convey that moment or feeling to the viewer. Outside of school, Gabriela is involved in Public Forum Speech and Debate, a Women In Business Leadership club, and the Business Society. Additionally, she enjoys reading comics or books that explore dramatic plots and/or romance. As she looks ahead to college, Gabriela is uncertain about her career path but is interested in the fields of medicine and neurology/pre-med. Alternatively, she may choose to major in English studies to further pursue a law degree.