We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

Students With Artistic Interests at Bronx Science

From ‘Dynamo’ Literary Magazine to Stage Crew, there are numerous clubs and organizations at Bronx Science that foster a love for artistic and creative endeavors.
Lara Adamjee
‘Dynamo’ literary magazine meetings are held every Wednesday in Room 207 at Bronx Science.

At a school whose name ‘The Bronx High School of Science,’ it is no surprise that the school has a rich variety of STEM related classes and extracurricular activities. 

However, given the size of our student body (around 3,000 students), Bronx Science also has a large number of students with interests in the arts and humanities as well. Apart from the humanities and arts classes on offer, students have formed various clubs and after school activities in order share their love for the arts and humanities. From simply discussing and enjoying the company of fellow artists, poets, and actors to producing Bronx Science’s annual literary magazine, Dynamo, there is no shortage of creative outlets in the arts and humanities among the students at Bronx Science.

THEATER

With renowned recent school performances such as ‘Rent’ and ‘She Kills Monsters,’ there’s no shortage of shine and life in the dazzling and melodic drama students at Bronx Science. 

Theater has been a prodigious outlet for the kids at Bronx Science who enjoy the more dramatic aspects of the arts, with opportunities to sing, dance, and act. The cast meets up three times a week in order to rehearse their roles for the final performance.  Their hard work shines through in an incredible show, with deafening applause at the end, a symbol of a job well done. 

Behind these staged displays of thespianism are various helping hands that make the performance function like a well oiled machine: the theater department’s stage crew. Stage crew is composed of five different squads: paint, costumes, sound, lights, and props. With five  different sectors, the team uses their creativity and ingenuity to bring the backdrops and scenery to life. They all come together and bring life to the production happening, while creating inside jokes and memories together along the way. 

DYNAMO LITERARY MAGAZINE

With publication dating back to 1938, the year of Bronx Science’s founding, Dynamo, Bronx Science’s literary magazine. has cemented itself as one of the main artistic showcases at Bronx Science. Dynamo is a completely student-run literary magazine that publishes an annual student-made magazine. The pages are filled with student submitted poetry, prose, photography, and other artwork. Dynamo meets as a club every Wednesday in Room 207 from 3:45 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and it is one of the longest-running clubs at Bronx Science. 

A long-time member of Dynamo, Haley Plummer ’24 said, “I was drawn to Dynamo because of its  ‘quirky’ vibe, and I liked the idea of creating a final publication at the end of the year.” The charm of the publication goes far beyond a final product, as the incredible community that is formed keeps members coming back. Plummer said, “Now, I stay for the community, the traditions, and of course, the angsty art and poetry.” 

Dynamo has become a living testament to the power of  artistic collaboration and the lasting spirit of creativity, with fostered connections that extend beyond the magazine’s printed pages. The club truly enriches the cultural fabric of our school.

Regardless of their artistic interest, the greatest part of being an arts-loving student at Bronx Science is the community. An adoration for showtunes or a particular knack for writing poetry can be shared with others and can help one to build connections through it. A new member of Dynamo, Liliana Mejia ’27, said, “I joined Dynamo because I’ve always been interested in writing, and my Big Sib made it seem really cool.” With encouragement and open arms, the arts-focused clubs at Bronx Science create loyal members and new opportunities for exploration in newer students.

Of course, being an art-loving student doesn’t mean that you intend on pursuing a job in the arts. The arts are a very selective field, with no guarantee of success. The choice to take that risk is just that, a choice, but also a luxury that few can afford. For many, the importance of the arts clubs at Bronx Science is the connections formed and the ability to spend as much time creating as you can, to foster these artistic passions while you still can. These clubs provide safe, communicative spaces that encourage creativity. 

These clubs and their charm are not lost among the students of Bronx Science, even those who won’t pursue a career in the arts. Kathy Le ’25, doesn’t plan on majoring in an arts field, but sje has joined various clubs and classes that focus on creative endeavors, such as the Yearbook Graphic Design Studio class, along with Stage Crew and Digital Arts Club. 

While many students will not take that plunge into the arts as a career choice, most artistic students at Bronx Science relish the chance to be creative during their high school years. Kathy Le, for instance, plans on pursuing the medical field in her future, but would like to incorporate her interest in the arts into her future career plans. Le said, “I had previously read an article about the effective uses of art as therapy, which would most likely be my dream job, because it combines my interests, medicine and art. A more realistic path would probably be to pursue a career as a pediatrician, however. I’m glad that a seemingly science-focused school had these artistic experiences open for its students.” 

Regardless of their artistic interest, the greatest part of being an arts-loving student at Bronx Science is the community. An adoration for showtunes or a particular knack for writing poetry can be shared with others and can help one to build connections through it.

About the Contributors
Vanessa Encarnacion, Staff Reporter
Vanessa Encarnacion is an Arts & Entertainment and Social Media Editor for ‘The Science Survey.’ She enjoys the story-telling aspects of journalistic writing along with its ability to provide new perspectives on the world that we think we know. She finds photography to represent perfect time-capsules of important moments, considering photography to be one of the most precise types of art. Outside of journalism, Vanessa enjoys exploring other art forms, such as film and music. She plans to study statistics in college, and hopes to one day work as a producer for films and television.
Lara Adamjee, Staff Reporter
Lara Adamjee is a Copy Chief for the ‘The Science Survey.’ She enjoys journalistic writing because everyone benefits from it. People read journalism articles when they want to stay informed about current events, research topics that personally interest them, or just learn something new. She finds journalistic photography interesting because a photo itself can be a statement or description -- despite not stating a word. After school, Lara participates in stage crew for theater. In her free time, she reads comics, specifically sci-fi and mystery, and her current favorite comic is Far Sector. Lara plans to pursue communications in college.