The Art of History

A plea for the importance of being a critical thinker.
Here is a statue of the father of history, Herodotus, outside the Parliament building in Vienna, Austria. (Photo Credit: morhamedufmg, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons)

As a young girl, I always believed everything that my teachers said. I learned about the greats, from George Washington to Christopher Columbus. But as I grew up, I realized that you should always do your own research. Now, today, I am more aware of the power that teachers have over my learning. 

Students just like me, from around the world, learn history at school. We learn about the tragedies and the triumphs of history from our teachers. It is the teachers who have the power over the narrative, and the power to shape minds by crafting a certain version of history.

Our History of Getting History Twisted

From simple propaganda movements to demagogues like Adolf Hitler, we have a long history of twisting history. Even today, Vladimir Putin is using history to justify the war in Ukraine. He has meticulously crafted a certain perspective of world history, a perspective reflected in his new high school history textbook, creating a new generation of people with his ideals. 

This is not the first time a political leader has done this. Hitler controlled the media and displayed Natzi propaganda to influence public opinion. Hitler even controlled education, creating the “Hitler Youth” group. The members grew up believing ideals that Hitler had told the teachers to teach.

Historical revisionism is a common manipulation tactic and has been used for thousands of years. It’s theorized that people have been manipulating history since its creation. Historians and societies have long been struggling to both uncover, document, and preserve history. 

The preservation effort dates back to the very father of history, Herodotus himself. Herodotus believed in getting eye witness accounts, using reason, and learning both sides of every story. His ideals were reflected in his published History of the Greco – Persian Wars. That’s not to say that he didn’t make mistakes. Some of the stories he wrote down seemed far-fetched to say the least, yet he never supported or stated an opinion on anything he reported. 

Here is another statue of Herodutus in Bodrum, Turkey, a former part of the Persian Empire. (Photo Credit: Stanqo, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons)

Herodotus’s ideals may not seem like revolutionary ideas today, but they were back then. It’s an ancient concept that is and will always be relevant in the modern day. In the spirit of Herodotus, every time I read I can’t help but wonder: is this the whole story? 

Teaching History At Bronx Science – Mr. Gonzowitz

Today, the teaching of history varies greatly. There is no universally accepted or unified way to teach history. Even between various history teachers at Bronx Science, the ways of teaching differ. One common debate is the anti or pro use of textbooks in a classroom. Mr. Gonzowitz, a Global 9, AP World, and Race & Gender (senior history class) teacher at Bronx Science commented on this matter. “The concept of the textbook is dated. I think that what we really need access to is ‘here’s the topics you should be teaching. Here are a whole bunch of different sources from different places that you could use to teach it.’ That’s the better way to do it,” Mr. Gonzowitz said.

Mr. Gonzowitz doesn’t give textbooks out to his students. If he does, he ensures they are “cold, hard facts,” and supplements them with his teachings in class. Gonzowitz has mentioned several times the power of adjusting the narrative and a textbook interpreting history for you. “Too often, the textbook goes from being a resource to the core ideals of a classroom, and that’s where it goes south.” 

Nadia Tarik ‘26, a student in Mr. Gonzowitz’s Advanced Placement World History class, astutely takes notes. (Mariam Samake)

Mr. Gonzowitz has also edited and written for textbooks before. He attributes his experience with that to his stance on textbooks. “There were many instances regarding the ways in which the textbooks described slavery and the ways in which they described governance that were lifting up certain cultures and then dropping other ones down.” He went on to describe how he often left comments for the textbook editors pointing this out and later discovered that his comments were blacked out.  He said textbooks can have a narrative or that it can seem “like you’re checking off a box,” when it comes to describing certain events.

Mr. Gonzowitz not only covers the AP exam material but also teaches the history of propaganda, starting from the power of speeches in the classical period (mainly covered in Global 9) to modern day control of education and media. He says his goal in his class is “to create a critical consumer,” one who is ultimately able to create a filter to parse truth from fiction and not simply be a passive sponge. 

Here, Ila Misra ’26 and a classmate dissect a primary text document in Mr. Gonzowitz’s Advanced Placement World History class. (Mariam Samake)

Teachers such as the ones at Bronx Science who put an effort into understanding the audience they’re educating, tend to be more effective and engaging. Instructors need to be able to adapt to the modern teen and find new ways to keep the students invested in their course. Not only that, but students should leave the classroom knowing how to filter through the fake news they will inevitably find on social media. In other words, teachers need to raise a new generation of critical thinkers.

The Gap Between School’s History Departments

There is a severe disparity between the Bronx Science education process, resources, and opportunities compared to your average local high school. The differences lie in the students, the resources, and the teachers. It is this combination that has allowed this school to produce nine Nobel prize winners. This gap can partially be attributed to the teacher talent in this city going to schools like Bronx Science and Stuyvesant. The differing levels of talent in teachers create a gap between schools, widen the gap between students, and make talented teachers more likely to not go teach at that school. It’s a cycle with seemingly no end. These teachers and students are, “being set up to fail,” as Mr. Gonzowitz said. 

Mr. Gonzowitz (at right) instructs his senior Race & Gender class. (Sonali Campbell)

And how can we break this cycle? Well, Mr. Schorr, an A.P. U.S. History teacher at Bronx Science, said, “If you had an army of 10,000 history teachers all of whom write their own scholarly activities every day because they love to do it and because they have the time to do it, then yeah – but that’s not the case.” But this is the case at Bronx Science, and maybe this is just another reason why Bronx Science is what it is.

It’s unrealistic to try and make every single teacher as motivated and scholarly as the ones at Bronx Science. We might not be able to do it, but that doesn’t mean we can’t invest and try to improve. “It’s an investment in talent and the students themselves. There has got to be this feeling of confidence – and I think my students feel confident, You need to feel confident that whatever is going to be presented to you is going to help you move forward,” Mr. Gonzowitz said.

Whether you are a high school student striving for greatness or simply someone with a fascination for history, here is my advice. History is no less important than any subject; in fact, as some may argue, it may very well be the most important subject. It is powerful and has shaped the world around you, so understand it. And don’t just read one textbook or listen to one podcast or watch a couple of TikTok videos. Don’t just sit there and accept everything that you are told; process and think about what you’re learning. Be an active participant in history, be a debater of wrongs and rights, be a questioner, and most importantly, be curious.

It’s an investment in talent and the students themselves. There has got to be this feeling of confidence – and I think my students feel confident, You need to feel confident that whatever is going to be presented to you is going to help you move forward,” said Mr. Gonzowitz, a Global 9, AP World, and Race & Gender teacher at Bronx Science.

About the Contributors
Emilia Wang McKinney, Staff Reporter
Emilia Wang McKinney is a Features Editor for ‘The Science Survey.' Since a young age, she has had a passion for writing and uses it as her main outlet for creativity. In her articles, she aims to empower voices and shed light on the truth while crafting an enjoyable read. Her articles utilize photographs to enhance her words. Emilia has a strong sense of identity and enjoys exploring this concept in society. Apart from academics, Emilia is an avid reader of fantasy novels and a senior girl scout at her local troop. She spends most of her time swimming competitively for the Girls' Varsity Swim team at Bronx Science and for a club team (Cross Island YMCA Barracudas). For her future college career, she hopes to combine her love for numbers and her zeal for writing.
Mariam Samake, Staff Reporter
Mariam Samake is a Chief Graphic Designer and a Copy Chief for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' She enjoys writing stories that inform readers about current events. Outside of journalism, Mariam enjoys art, graphic design, journaling, editing and also photography.  In college, Mariam is hoping to pursue a field involving business, law, or economics. However, she will continue to pursue her interests in journalism, photography, and art.
Sonali Campbell, Staff Reporter
Sonali Campbell is a Staff Reporter for ‘The Science Survey.’ To her, journalism is an outlet to tell stories in a way that impacts and educates the reader. Strong works of journalism can make simplicity exciting and the overlooked heard. Through writing op-eds or straight news, Sonali appreciates how many perspectives can be written on a topic and how that impacts people’s understanding of it. Whether it's an overview on a world-altering current event, or a feature of a shop owner, Sonali believes that journalism is an incredibly important aspect of society. She also loves journalistic photography and the way it can also tell stories through capturing moments without the use of words. When she is not working for the Bronx Science Speech and Debate team, Sonali enjoys reading, traveling, painting, and creating other forms of art. Though she isn’t completely confident in what she wants to do in college and the world beyond, she knows that she wants to pursue a career in medicine, particularly neuroscience or genetics, after college. However, Sonali also wants to incorporate writing into her future, whatever that might be. Her passion for writing stems in part from Bronx Science, and she hopes to explore her interests in this field further in the years to come.