The Confinements of the World

What are the restrictions with our one life, and how can we achieve happiness in it?
We can see the moon in detail from a telescope lens on Earth, but most people will never experience seeing it up close in real life. This doesn’t even account for all the other planets and aspects of space we have yet to discover in our lifetime.
Chaiya Milowic

For many years, I have operated under the notion that you only get one chance at life, which makes me feel stuck and trapped in this vast world. Having only one go-around with its limited moments and opportunities makes life appear like a cage, preventing us from properly experiencing everything that life has to offer.

Every decision we make matters, serving as a continual reminder that time moves onward. It is a combination of a great desire to make our narrative matter and a persistent pressure that never really lets up. I am trapped in this cycle of wanting more, yearning for something that’s just out of reach.

The notion that we are bound to only the culture, language, species, and nation we were born to our whole lives is essential for identity, yet profoundly restrictive. It’s as if we have been given a single lens through which to perceive the world, a single story to follow. Our beliefs and traditions are shaped by our culture, our spirituality guided by our religion, and our expressions framed by our language. 

We are connected to our species, trapped in this common human experience, yet there is an entire universe beyond our grasp. Our nationality, while providing a sense of belonging, simultaneously creates invisible borders on the map of our lives. These attachments, while grounding us, also draw boundaries, separating us from the infinite possibilities that the world has to offer.

It feels as if we are trapped in an endless cycle of labor within the restrictions of these cultural and societal constraints. From a young age, we are indoctrinated into a system that celebrates the values of hard labor and production, frequently at the expense of personal fulfillment and real self-discovery. 

We devote the majority of our days to jobs that may not necessarily correspond with our interests or objectives, motivated by the urge to ensure our position in this regimented world. It is a ceaseless pursuit that often obscures the greater spectrum of human experience that exists outside the confines of our employment. We run the risk of letting the precious moments of our single life be lost in this battle with time.

One can only imagine an alternative path for humanity in a fictitious world free of the limits of realism. Life might have unfolded as a utopian dream if not for the structures of income, government, and a materialistic economy. Humans could have focused on matters that truly mattered, liberated from the shackles of  monetary value, embracing their innate abilities for creativity, ingenuity, and compassion.

Millions of people spend every day miserably working a 9-5 office job; capitalism has trapped society in this never-ending cycle.
(Arlington Research / Unsplash)

In this alternate reality, cultures may have thrived without oppressive governments, and governance could have evolved into an independent, beneficial order that supported individual liberties. Without a materialistic economy, people would have placed a higher emphasis on connections, relationships, and the natural world, fostering a more peaceful existence. In this utopian image, the possibility of a life exists. 

A potential solution I have found to alleviate the pain of this finite life is religion. Religion, in all its forms, offers comfort and solutions to the great question of what occurs after death. The promise of eternal life via trust in Jesus Christ provides believers with consolation and hope in Christianity. The doctrines of the Bible promise Christians a heavenly compensation, promoting a sense of tranquility in the face of the afterlife’s uncertainty. 

The idea of an afterlife is important to Islam as well. The Quran lays out a precise structure for accountability and judgment, as well as the hope of eternal paradise for the devout. With its belief in reincarnation and karma, Hinduism offers a sense of continuity after death. It encourages people to conduct moral lives in order to benefit their future incarnations. Buddhism, like many other religions, preaches the transience of existence. It eases our minds to have beliefs. When you truly believe there is life after death, you create your own reality.

There are a variety of perspectives on the world from each religion, but they all serve as hope and motivation for devotees. (Image Credit: Danizro/iStock)

After interviewing a Bronx Science student, Melissa Chowdhury ’24, I gained some fascinating new insights. She said, “It doesn’t bother me that we only have ‘one chance’ at life because I think this one chance consists of multiple individual chances. Muslims really value and depend on the forgiveness of our Lord, and in the Quran and Hadith, it’s really emphasized how merciful and forgiving God is, and it’s stated many times in different ways that God always forgives when you ask for forgiveness, so I view this ‘one chance’ concept more as a multiple chance way due to the forgiveness aspect of my religion.”

This new perspective helped me realize how big of a role religion plays in people’s lives. Devoting yourself to a faith gives you newfound hope and acceptance of life’s confining boundaries. However, even with religion, we can not deny the flaws of society and the concept of working until retirement. 

In my interview with Chowdhury, I asked her, “How should one spend their life? Is it optimal to spend most of it working? How should society be different in these terms?” She replied, “In order to determine how one should spend their life, I think it ultimately is determined by their purpose in life. Once they get that established, they should follow through, and each day they live should be lived with the intention of fulfilling and striving towards that purpose.” 

I believe this response was insightful but does not address the issue of how dedication to labor has taken over society. It appears both foolish and useless to devote our entire existence to a labor that causes us misery, especially given the uncertainty of life’s duration. This one life is a precious gift, and spending it in eternal misery is a depressing prospect. 

Rather than settling for the mundane, we should strive to live lives full of joy, fulfillment, and authenticity. Embracing joyful experiences, cultivating happy relationships, and seeing the beauty of our environment can raise existence beyond a monotonous cycle of work. Recognizing the finite nature of life makes it important to strive for a harmonious balance between work and the pursuit of happiness, making the most of our brief adventure on this earth.

It is undoubtedly fascinating that the vast mysteries of the galaxy and the depths of the ocean contain truths we may never fully comprehend due to the brief span of our lives. The universe and the oceans are worlds overflowing with undiscovered treasures just waiting to be explored, comprehended, and appreciated. However, the restrictions of our human existence, with its finite years, frequently limit our ability to explore the depths of these frontiers.

The scope of what remains unknown can elicit intense longing and curiosity. It is a reminder of the grandeur of the world and the intricate web of life beneath the waters, emphasizing the need to utilize the time we have to discover and love the wonders within our reach. Recognizing our limitations reveals the ability to overcome them.

Our existence does not have to be a reenactment of predetermined tales but rather an exploration of human potential. We construct a road to a more purposeful living by striking a balance between regulated lives and personal fulfillment. We deconstruct boundaries and unveil a universe of various experiences via reflection and empathy. We construct our own narratives in this attempt at living a life of honesty, meaning, and limitless opportunity.

Accepting the fact that we may only have one life can result in a transforming sense of newfound appreciation. When we recognize the unique and finite character of our existence, every moment becomes exponentially more valuable. We begin to appreciate the basic pleasures of life, appreciating the beauty of our surroundings, and cherishing the connections that define the way we live.  The realization of life’s fragility instills a greater desire to live truthfully, pursue our passions, and enjoy the variety of experiences that the world has to offer. Accepting that we only have one life provides an incentive for sincere and lasting thankfulness for the gift of existence.

“In order to determine how one should spend their life, I think it ultimately is determined by their purpose in life. Once they get that established, they should follow through, and each day they live should be lived with the intention of fulfilling and striving towards that purpose,” said Melissa Chowdhury ’24.

Chaiya Milowic, Staff Reporter
Chaiya Milowic is an Editorial Editor for ‘The Science Survey.' She enjoys debates and sharing and listening to others’ opinions. Although she finds objective writing interesting, she has always been drawn to the art of subjectivity and the room it leaves for interpretation and creativity. Writing has opened her eyes to new perspectives and beliefs. She has been working with cameras for years outside of school and finds journalistic photography to be a crucial element in articles. She finds it most appealing that a picture can seemingly tell a thousand words when taking journalistic photography. In Chaiya’s free time, she enjoys playing basketball, spending time with family, and creating new things whether they are paintings, poem, stories, or even a makeup look. In the future, she plans on pursuing a career in psychology, hoping to eventually earn her PhD and become a clinical psychologist. As writing has always been her main interest since childhood, she intends to continue writing and produce articles on her psychological findings in the future.