Bronx Science’s Music Classes Inspire Creativity and Joy in Our Community

Through dedication and awe-inspiring performance, Bronx Science’s musical groups bring life to the school community.
Despite their small size, the brass section of the Orchestra is crucial to the sound of the music, as their strong tone is juxtaposed with the strings.

The Winter and Spring Concerts at Bronx Science are  some of the largest attractions when performance season is around. As holiday magic fills the air in late December, Bronx Science students eagerly await the winter concert where 150 Bronx Science students come together to showcase their musical talent, bringing excitement to the entire school community. The concerts at Bronx Science are composed of four performances: Orchestra, Jazz Band, Concert Band, and Chorus. Orchestra focuses on string instruments and classical works, concert band is the most diverse band with over a dozen instruments in harmony, Jazz Band offers unique perspectives to contemporary music, Concert Band is the most diverse band with over a dozen instruments represented, and Chorus graces us with beautiful singing. The performance classes at Bronx Science provide positive benefits for the students involved. As Emily Hsieh ’24, concertmaster of Concert Band said, “Not only are we working towards a common goal, we are encouraged to improve, and then given the tools and support to do so,” she said. The Bronx Science Music classes broadcast the diverse musical talent of our students while spreading joy throughout the community.

About the Contributors
Isaiah Muniz, Staff Reporter
Isaiah Muniz is an Editorial Editor for 'The Science Survey.' He enjoys pieces that creatively spotlight people, organizations, and occurrences in small communities. He enjoys how journalism serves as a source of creativity, inspiration, and education. Isaiah appreciates how photojournalism is a great way to gather specific and meaningful details about a particular situation or event. Throughout his writing, Isaiah enjoys sharing his hobbies and interests such as community activism and service, sports, music, and politics. Alongside journalism, he serves as editor of Dynamo, Bronx sciences’s literary magazine, a member of Speech and Debate, and also spends time creating music on his clarinet. His most likely career paths include community activism, media, and broadcast journalism.
Marley Lee-Kang, Staff Reporter
Marley Lee-Kang is an Arts & Entertainment Editor for ‘The Science Survey.' Marley believes that a good journalistic piece should be able to captivate readers from beginning to end. He also believes that the use of visual representations is equally important as images can help the readers imagine the setting and can carry so much information with so little. With a newfound passion for writing, Marley wishes to produce interesting journalistic pieces that will be read by many. Born with a creative mind, Marley wishes to use writing as one of his catalysts to capture his imagination and produce works of art.
Tasnim Haque, Staff Reporter
Tasnim Haque is the Chief Graphic Designer and Editor-in-Chief of ‘The Observatory’ yearbook.  She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' To her, journalistic writing is a creative outlet for expression.  She firmly believes that journalism has the power to illuminate diverse narratives, fostering unity among people. To Tasnim, the appeal of journalistic photography lies not just in narrating stories but in capturing and preserving them for future generations. Beyond her academic endeavors, Tasnim indulges in her passion for South Asian music. She is currently in her fourth year of dedicated practice in Hindustani Semi-Classical music, focusing heavily on popular music. Her enthusiasm for music aligns with her desire to learn from the rich tapestry of others' experiences. Looking toward the future, Tasnim aspires to delve into the realms of psychology and neuroscience during her college years, with a keen interest in cognitive science. She firmly believes that being a journalist and graphic designer will enable her to explore stories that offer profound insights into the vast spectrum of human capabilities and limitations. Through her chosen path, she aims to uncover the greatness within the human spirit and share these compelling narratives with the world.
Mariam Samake, Staff Reporter
Mariam Samake is a Chief Graphic Designer and a Copy Chief for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' She enjoys writing stories that inform readers about current events. Outside of journalism, Mariam enjoys art, graphic design, journaling, editing and also photography.  In college, Mariam is hoping to pursue a field involving business, law, or economics. However, she will continue to pursue her interests in journalism, photography, and art.
Astrid Grimskog-Tran, Staff Reporter
Astrid Grimskog-Tran is a Graphic Designer and an Academics Section Editor for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' Astrid finds that the most appealing aspect of journalism is discovering people’s stories and being able to share them with the world. Outside of school, Astrid enjoys reading books, watching movies, and spending time with her family, as well as solving various types of puzzles and exploring the city while Geocaching with her sister.
Sophia Markens, Staff Reporter
Sophia Markens is a Managing Editor and Social Media Editor for ‘The Science Survey.’ For the past two years, she has been writing and editing for the paper. She likes to express herself through creative writing and enjoys researching and reporting on new and interesting topics, along with being able to share her work and interest with readers. She finds journalistic photography appealing because it creates a lens into the mind of the writer, helping the readers to visualize their work. She loves spending time with her family and two kittens, along with getting boba with her best friend. She also loves to read and watch her favorite television shows such as Community, Fleabag and Yellowjackets. Her favorite thing to do is to travel around the United States and the world, experiencing different cultures and immersing herself in nature. Sophia is interested in furthering her education in sociology and film, as she hopes to one day help create shows and movies.
Bianca Quddus, Staff Reporter
Bianca Quddus is a Managing Editor and Advisory Editor for ‘The Science Survey’ who enjoys writing about culture and the arts. The aspect that she most loves about journalism is its emphasis on informative and creative storytelling. Bianca also recognizes her opportunity as a journalist to amplify the voice of those often forgotten. She believes that journalistic photography is a fundamental part to journalistic writing as it adds depth to the stories and brings them to life, telling what couldn’t be told in words alone. Bianca is a passionate clarinetist and a student at the Juilliard Music Advancement Program. Bianca wishes to study the intersections between music and the brain and music cognition. In her free time, Bianca enjoys reading, cooking for friends and family, watching old movies, and going to concerts.