Bronx Science’s Cultural Clubs Create New, Fun Experiences For the Student Body

Through all the academic noise, cultural clubs at Bronx Science foster environments of empowerment and joy for numerous cultural groups.
Members of Chinese Cultural Club engage in Chinese calligraphy, where they write their name with artistic technique.

When I first walked through the doors of Bronx Science, the diversity of the student body was one of the first things I noticed. Here at Bronx Science, there are thousands of students of unique cultures, traditions, and backgrounds Bronx Science is where students are introduced to customs, celebrations, and experiences they would have never otherwise encountered. This diversity is highlighted through the many cultural clubs at Bronx Science. Whether you are learning a dance at NASHA, the South East Asian club or learning about the Black experience in STEM professions in Black at Science in Science, students have created spaces where all cultures can be celebrated and appreciated.

About the Contributors
Isaiah Muniz, Staff Reporter
Isaiah Muniz is an Editorial Editor for 'The Science Survey.' He enjoys pieces that creatively spotlight people, organizations, and occurrences in small communities. He enjoys how journalism serves as a source of creativity, inspiration, and education. Isaiah appreciates how photojournalism is a great way to gather specific and meaningful details about a particular situation or event. Throughout his writing, Isaiah enjoys sharing his hobbies and interests such as community activism and service, sports, music, and politics. Alongside journalism, he serves as editor of Dynamo, Bronx sciences’s literary magazine, a member of Speech and Debate, and also spends time creating music on his clarinet. His most likely career paths include community activism, media, and broadcast journalism.
Nora Gupta, Staff Reporter
Nora Gupta is a Chief Graphic Designer and an Athletics Section Editor for 'The Observatory' yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' Nora believes in artistic expression and writing sovereignty. She enjoys creative and informative writing as well as using her photographs to enhance her writing. Nora enjoys “painting a picture with words," following this mantra with a disciple's devotion. She loves to use imagery and refined rhetoric in her writing, along with giving character to the people, objects, or events that she writes about. Aside from her academic writing in school, Nora writes for her own amusement and creative expression by writing novellas, prose, and poetry. She views writing as a captivating form of art that allows her to explore a multitude of perspectives. Nora aspires to pursue a future as a writer or in a humanities field in college.
Alexandra Ghile, Staff Reporter
Alexandra Ghile is a News Editor for ‘The Science Survey.' She views journalistic writing as a way of teaching the reader while also sparking their curiosity. The best articles, in her opinion, are the ones that the reader gets lost in while reading and feels changed after finishing. Journalistic photography is crucial to adding personality to an article. She believes that the best photos aren’t the ones that have perfect lighting, are perfectly symmetrical, and have the subject in the center. The best photos are the ones that feel natural and somewhat unusual. That is why she constantly searches for different angles or subjects that are usually overlooked. In addition to writing for ‘The Science Survey,' Alexandra is part of the Lincoln Douglas squad on the Bronx Science Speech and Debate Team and plays soccer for the Bronx Science Girls' Junior Varsity Soccer Team. When she is not in school, Alexandra enjoys reading, playing the piano, or creatively writing. She isn’t sure what she wants to study in college, but she does hope to continue with journalism.
Samantha Nair, Staff Reporter
Samantha Nair is a Staff Reporter for ‘The Science Survey’. She wants to write about consequential issues and stories covering the world, for the purpose of not only educating others on engrossing topics, but simultaneously learning more herself. Another motivation of Samantha'ss for journalistic writing is finding the seemingly trivial details of a story and reporting them to avoid misinformation, a problem she believes is potent in our current world. She also delights in capturing narratives all around Bronx Science through photography. She believes this allows memorable emotions and actions of students to not go unrecorded. Some of her commitments and interests include Girls' Varsity Soccer, Girls' Varsity Lacrosse, public forum debate, and the Manhattan Soccer Club. Samantha's hobbies aside from school entail reading, art, and skiing. She loves a multitude of subjects ranging from business, humanities, and STEM, so she is still contemplating a future career path. Samantha's aspirations, however, will never dissuade her love for writing and reporting.
Gabriel McCarthy, Staff Reporter
Gabriel McCarthy is an Editorial Editor for ‘The Science Survey,’ and he helps improve the quality of the editorials of his classmates. He has a passion for journalism, and he loves to read and write engaging articles. He loves journalism because it can tell an engaging story while also informing the reader at the same time. He also loves taking photos for the newspaper and believes that photos can capture a part of a story in a way that writing cannot. Outside of school, Gabriel is a nationally-ranked fencer and spends his time either doing homework or practicing. He believes that editorials are a reflection of the author and that they can tell a much deeper story. In college, Gabriel wishes to study history and maybe go into that line of work. In the foreseeable future, he has no intention of quitting journalism and hopes to be able to spread information in some capacity even after he graduates.
Marley Lee-Kang, Staff Reporter
Marley Lee-Kang is an Arts & Entertainment Editor for ‘The Science Survey.' Marley believes that a good journalistic piece should be able to captivate readers from beginning to end. He also believes that the use of visual representations is equally important as images can help the readers imagine the setting and can carry so much information with so little. With a newfound passion for writing, Marley wishes to produce interesting journalistic pieces that will be read by many. Born with a creative mind, Marley wishes to use writing as one of his catalysts to capture his imagination and produce works of art.
Sam Chin, Staff Reporter
Sam Chin is an Editor-in-Chief and Chief Graphic Designer for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook and a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey' newspaper. In addition to the yearbook, Sam enjoys graphic design outside of the classroom. They most enjoy the space that graphic design provides for creative freedom and the ability to bring one’s own writing to life with visuals. From eliminating white space to finding a new technique to emphasize an image, graphic designers have never-ending opportunities. Throughout their years in Yearbook Graphic Design, Sam has learned to appreciate the art of storytelling through a multitude of mediums, from journalistic writing to photography and even short films. In college, Sam hopes to join their school’s yearbook or newspaper program in addition to pursuing a passion in engineering.
Sasha White, Staff Reporter
Sasha White is a News Editor for ‘The Science Survey.’ She curates, reviews, and writes articles in the area of current events. She considers writing to be a form of exposure to people's stories and experiences, as well as an opportunity to learn about new perspectives and events. She finds journalistic photography a way to key into the emotions and the narratives of people and immerse oneself in the story being told. Sasha is an entrepreneur who loves creating projects and designs to sell on platforms, but she also loves to read, watch movies, and spend time with her friends. In the future, she sees herself pursuing careers in business or medicine, in the hopes of being able to interact and form bonds with people, and learn more about the area of study that she chooses.