We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

Experimentation with the Elements of Engineering

Elements of Engineering is one of Bronx Science’s unique foundational courses, taken by all ninth graders, where students have a chance to build, design, and test creations hands-on in the engineering labs.
Students experiment with designing a bridge, and determining how much weight their creation can support.

Every year, all Bronx Science ninth gradres take a unique foundational class called Elements of Engineering. Physics teachers teach most of the classes and create fun, experimental courses to introduce students to the basics of civil, mechanical, and electrical engineering. Students build bridges, light switches, and have the opportunity to design and create projects of their own. They learn the basics of computer modeling, then use their newfound skills to design homes and buildings with computer software. Students work collaboratively and have a chance to work hands-on with cardboard, wire, and lots of hot glue in the engineering labs. 

About the Contributors
Liza Greenberg, Staff Reporter
Liza Greenberg is a Managing Editor and Advisory Editor for ‘The Science Survey.’ She is responsible for editing and her classmates' articles, and keeping reporters on track with deadlines for publication. Liza enjoys writing about issues facing the school community, conducting interviews with students and teachers, and trying to piece together information. She prioritizes thorough, investigative journalism. She also likes to travel around the school and attend school events taking photos, capturing unique and beautiful moments. Liza is a member of the Bronx Science LOP and president of the National Organization for Women Club. Outside of school, Liza volunteers at Montefiore Hospital, and works in a biochemistry lab. She is interested in medicine, and wants to pursue a career as a doctor or medical researcher.
Jenna Zhou, Staff Reporter
Jenna Zhou is a Graphic Designer and a Managing Editor/Advisory Editor for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' She finds journalistic photography interesting because in the action of taking the picture, you capture a moment in time. Outside of school, Jenna enjoys visiting new restaurants around New York City to explore different tastes, and she also completes small art projects in her free time. Jenna plans on studying architecture in college and going more in depth with interior design and architectural planning afterwards.
Yardena Franklin, Staff Reporter
Yardena Franklin is a Graphic Designer and Copy Chief for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook, as well as a Staff Reporter for ‘The Science Survey’ newspaper. She loves journalistic writing as a method to inform people about important subjects, and to share ideas for which she is passionate, all in a constructive, engaging way. She appreciates the art of taking photographs because they force her to think in a different manner, framing the picture in such a way that it tells a story and captures the exact moment in time. It is a precise art that requires much forethought to plan how the photograph will turn out. In doing so, it requires much perspective shifting and flexibility, the challenge of which she enjoys. Yardena loves acting, singing, and hanging out with friends. She is not sure what she wants to do after college, but she plans on pursuing writing in some form, either through journalism or as a novelist, in the future.
Nora Gupta, Staff Reporter
Nora Gupta is a Chief Graphic Designer and an Athletics Section Editor for 'The Observatory' yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' Nora believes in artistic expression and writing sovereignty. She enjoys creative and informative writing as well as using her photographs to enhance her writing. Nora enjoys “painting a picture with words," following this mantra with a disciple's devotion. She loves to use imagery and refined rhetoric in her writing, along with giving character to the people, objects, or events that she writes about. Aside from her academic writing in school, Nora writes for her own amusement and creative expression by writing novellas, prose, and poetry. She views writing as a captivating form of art that allows her to explore a multitude of perspectives. Nora aspires to pursue a future as a writer or in a humanities field in college.
Angeline Rivera, Staff Reporter
Angeline Rivera is a Staff Reporter for ‘The Science Survey.’ As a journalist, she loves to captivate the readers and share her knowledge and passion with other people through her writing. To her, journalism is educating others on her interests in a thoughtful and carefully put-together way, making sure to hold the attention of those reading. She believes that journalistic writing allows for the truth without bias to be stated and read, leaving an everlasting impact on people’s lives. Journalistic photography is a way for her to show others the little details of what is currently happening, even when most people don’t realize it. Much of her free time outside of school is spent making art, baking, and reading, all hobbies to which she is completely devoted. Although her future career trajectory is not completely decided, Angeline has a passion for medicine and hopes to one day become a travel nurse. Regardless of her future career, journalistic writing will have a lasting impact upon her life and continue to be one of her life-long passions.
Emilia Wang McKinney, Staff Reporter
Emilia Wang McKinney is a Features Editor for ‘The Science Survey.' Since a young age, she has had a passion for writing and uses it as her main outlet for creativity. In her articles, she aims to empower voices and shed light on the truth while crafting an enjoyable read. Her articles utilize photographs to enhance her words. Emilia has a strong sense of identity and enjoys exploring this concept in society. Apart from academics, Emilia is an avid reader of fantasy novels and a senior girl scout at her local troop. She spends most of her time swimming competitively for the Girls' Varsity Swim team at Bronx Science and for a club team (Cross Island YMCA Barracudas). For her future college career, she hopes to combine her love for numbers and her zeal for writing.
Binah Friedman, Staff Reporter
Binah Friedman is a Graphic Designer and Groups Editor for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' She appreciates the value of a good story, whether it is told through words, pictures or both. Binah enjoys learning new things and sharing them with others, and she tries to always make her published work intriguing to the reader. She is an artist, and likes to create character drawings and comics in her free time. Binah plans to study computer science in college, but hopes to combine it with some kind of graphic design or otherwise creative work.