We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

Bronx Science Health Clubs Encourage Interest in Medicine

Every club has a different focus; find the one that is right for you!
Club attendees feel ecstatic about their ability to save a life with their mastered skill.

Bronx Science has over 100 clubs, and more than a few are focused on health.  Some of these clubs focus on medicine, while others raise awareness about overall body wellness. No matter the club’s specific focus, they all share one common goal: getting people interested in health. Pre-Medical Society focuses on the medicinal aspect of health, and has lessons on diseases and techniques, such as Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR). BxSmiles is a club that focuses on dentistry and dental health. Health and Fitness focuses on working out and body awareness. Psych and Neuro are perfect for those who want to become a psychiatrist or neurologist. Heroes in Health helps youth access important information in medicine, and Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) focuses on the different career paths and specializations in healthcare.  For more information on these clubs, check the Bronx Science website HERE for days, room and times these clubs meet!

About the Contributors
Anayah Hogue, Staff Reporter
Anayah Hogue is a Staff Reporter for ‘The Science Survey.' In terms of journalistic writing, she finds it appealing that journalism allows students to express their passions through writing. She likes music and traveling to places where she has never been to before. In college, Anayah plans on majoring in psychology and becoming a clinical psychologist after graduating.
Kathy Le, Staff Reporter
Kathy Le is an Editor-in-Chief and Chief Graphic Designer for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook. She enjoys writing and designing her own yearbook spreads, where she enjoys adding small details and using colorful language in her articles. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey' and enjoys writing long form journalistic articles for it. She is amazed at how skilled journalists can describe hard truths and make them engaging. Kathy also enjoys taking journalistic photographs where life is captured in vivid ways. In her free time, Kathy likes reading and creating digital art. She wishes to keep art as a hobby and pursue the medical field in the future.
Jinha Yoo, Staff Reporter
Jinha Yoo is a Staff Reporter for ‘The Science Survey.’ She utilizes the power of storytelling not only to inform people about the topics she deeply cares about but also to provoke interest and curiosity among readers. Jinha believes that the allure of journalistic photography lies in its ability to capture the raw, unfiltered moments of reality. She appreciates the beauty of photography as it freezes emotions, expressions, and events in time, conveying powerful stories without the need for words. Outside of school Jinha enjoys listening to music, coding, and taking photos. Jinha is also a part of Key Club and the Model UN team. In college, Jinha plans to pursue a career in the medical field.
Liah Igel, Staff Reporter
Liah Igel is a News Editor for ‘The Science Survey’ and also the artist behind ‘The Survey Strip,' the newspaper's comic strip. To her, journalism is a form of expression by conveying emotions and experiences. It allows for different people’s stories to be communicated and heard by others, in order to bring light to important subjects or simply interesting topics. She views photographs as a method of visually expressing these emotions and experiences without requiring words. However, when paired together, she believes photographs and journalistic writing can truly describe an occurrence in a powerful fashion. Liah enjoys creating art and writing in her free time. Her favorite book is Tuesdays with Morrie, by Mitch Albom and her favorite movie is Interstellar, directed by Christopher Nolan. In the future, Liah dreams to study both medicine and business while continuing to write for her school’s newspaper.
Eunseo Lee, Staff Reporter
Eunseo Lee is an Editorial Section editor for ‘The Science Survey.' She joined journalism due to her great interest in the media, and hopes to write great articles that can captivate the effects of media in everyday life. As an Editorial Section editor, Eunseo Lee reviews the editorial section of ‘The Science Survey’ and helps by providing feedback on her classmates' article drafts. She finds this process fascinating due to her belief that journalism is truly powerful in the sense that it holds the great responsibility of informing the public. Outside of school, Eunseo also continues her passion for the media by running the podcast ‘Exhibit A & E.'
Gabriela Tejeda, Staff Reporter
Gabriela Tejeda currently serves as an Arts & Entertainment Editor for 'The Science Survey.' She interprets journalistic writing as the art of telling a real-life story in its most fictional form. While many people may enjoy the plot and exhilaration of non-fiction stories, they may not always compare to the fictional style of journalism. In the field of photography, Gabriela sees a tone of voice, atmosphere, and even beauty in simple images. Photographing something is like capturing a beautiful moment that, when taken well enough, can convey that moment or feeling to the viewer. Outside of school, Gabriela is involved in Public Forum Speech and Debate, a Women In Business Leadership club, and the Business Society. Additionally, she enjoys reading comics or books that explore dramatic plots and/or romance. As she looks ahead to college, Gabriela is uncertain about her career path but is interested in the fields of medicine and neurology/pre-med. Alternatively, she may choose to major in English studies to further pursue a law degree.
Samie Lee, Staff Reporter
Samie Lee is a Copy Chief and Graphic Designer for ‘The Observatory’ yearbook. She is also a Staff Reporter for 'The Science Survey.' Samie believes that the most appealing aspect of journalistic writing is in its ability to connect people worldwide and spread information and stories to those whom it reaches. These elements are also heavily present in journalistic photography, where a heavier focus on emotion and visual representations can also convey the same meanings. Outside of school, Samie likes to fence as well as play video games. She is still unsure about what she would like to do in the future, but she would prefer to pursue something in the humanities filed, where she believes her ability shines brightest whether it is through writing or the arts.
Georgie Barth, Staff Reporter
Georgie Barth is a Spotlight Editor for ‘The Science Survey.’ Journalism’s ability to convey truth and give voice to the issues all around us brought her to the newspaper. She is fascinated by the issues so often overlooked in favor of domestic and international issues. In school, Georgie imagines how the school she loves can be even better, and outside of school, she turns her eyes to local politics. While it’s hard to choose, some of her favorite books are Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire, Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, and Strangers to Ourselves by Rachel Aviv. Georgie loves to spend her free time taking walks through her neighborhood because she loves looking at the old buildings.
Bethany Karlinsky, Staff Reporter
Bethany Karlinsky is a Features Editor for ‘The Science Survey.’ She loves that through journalism one can craft a story that is both informative and riveting to read, benefitting people in all aspects. She believes in the necessity of true and reliable journalism. Bethany reads various articles from outside newspapers, as well as writes her own. Moreover, she also enjoys journalistic photography as she believes pictures can tell a story in themselves, making them a large asset to articles. Outside of journalism, Bethany is on the debate team and pursues social science research. She loves to relax by listening to music, baking, and reading a good book. In the future she plans to integrate her love for debate and journalism, aiming to study political science, history, and psychology.