We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

We've got the news down to a science!

The Science Survey

A Profile on Bronx Science’s Gender-Sexuality-Alliance Club

A rainbow flag stands out at every club fair, casting a colorful light. The Bronx Science Gender and Sexuality and Alliance club, or GSA, offers a safe space for queer youth at our school.
There’s a specific type of community formed in the Gender-Sexuality-Alliance club, with shared experiences and a common safe space regardless of your identity. (Photo Credit: Alexander Grey / Unsplash)

Colorful slideshows, small side conversations, plates full of chips, and occasional card games – this is the typical after-school GSA meeting. The Bronx Science GSA (Gender and Sexuality Alliance) club has been a safe haven for students to express themselves and find support within our school community as members of the LGBTQ community. Since its establishment in 2021, the GSA has provided a welcoming and inclusive space for students of all backgrounds to come together and celebrate their diversity in room 315. 

Many pioneers of the LGBTQ+ rights movement were teens and queer youth themselves, such as iconic Transgender Activist Sylvia Rivera making her mark on the movement at 17. With the uproar and demand for equality coming from the queer youth in recent decades, there should be no question that such safe spaces were demanded in schools. 

The very first club that functioned as a GSA actually went by the acronym G.I.Y.S., meaning the Gay International Youth Society, which was formed in George Washington High School in the 70s. Public reports of this club would be recognized far later than the ones formed in Concord Academy and Phillips Academy, despite making such progress nearly two decades prior.

Since the formation of those clubs, GSAs have grown enormously in popularity and can now be found in high schools and middle schools across the country, providing a safe space for students to express themselves and advocate for LGBTQ+ rights. These initial clubs sparked a remarkable movement, which led to the formation of countless GSA clubs in schools and universities across the country. 

The leadership of this club consists of President Hikmah Ahmed ’25, Vice President Alice Xing ’25, Secretary Linsay Kim ’25, and Social Media Manager Marina Del Solar ’25. Each has an extensive history and passion for GSA, from its start three years ago to the current day. Ahmed said, “I joined originally because my friends went. Over time, I realized I was a part of the community and stayed because I felt belonging there.” Going from a consistent club member to President is a giant leap, one that undoubtedly comes from the dedication and pride (no pun intended) towards helping their newfound community. 

Social Media Manager Marina Del Solar got excited for the concept of the club and what it could bring for them. Del Solar ‘25 said, “ It was always a dream of mine to find a queer community where I don’t feel I have to perform – a lot of GSA is also neurodivergent so the mix of the two helps me feel included as a queer, neurodivergent person. [GSA] allows a space to share experiences.”

Beyond their coordination and unification of the student body, GSA is a club like any other. 

There are silly informative slideshows, long talks, and snacks. A fond memory that Hikmah Ahmed shared with me goes as follows. “One day, we didn’t do a presentation and just went in a circle eating pizza talking about our love lives. In a weird way, it was almost a safe space.” This sentiment is common within GSA, as there’s a bond between members like no other. Members find common ground with their club peers through their unique identities. 

Another area where Bronx Science’s GSA has made incredible contributions is by creating awareness and advocating for LGBTQ+ rights both within our school and beyond. Our GSA has organized various events and workshops to promote understanding and acceptance, contributing to a much more inclusive and respectful school environment. 

In addition to the support it provides, Bronx Science’s GSA serves as a platform for students to engage in activism, education, and community outreach. Through many partnerships with local LGBTQ+ organizations and awareness campaigns, our GSA members have been avid fighters for policy changes, social justice initiatives, and proper information being spread. One of these events was the AIDS Awareness Day event, where the GSA managed to get two speakers, Bobby Leonards and Brandy Andrews, educators and informants on queer sexual health, to discuss the topic of sexual health and the effect that the AIDs crisis had on the LGBTQ+ community in the 80s and 90s. The GSA takes queer history seriously and demonstrates the importance of keeping up with the community and awareness.

The GSA does its best to make itself heard as a club through various student-led and student involved activities. A yearly staple of GSA’s school contributions is the activities of Coming Out Day. 

Coming Out Day is meant to support the members of the LGBTQ+ Community who have and have not “come out,” which is a shortened phrase of “coming out of the closet.” These terms refer to someone in the community telling others of their queer identity. This day takes place on October 11th annually, meant to commemorate the anniversary of 1987’s Second National March for Gay and Lesbian Rights in Washington D.C.

The GSA works to create a panel of students and staff who share their experiences with coming out and publicly claiming their queer identities. Those who want to speak can sign up and share at the event after-school, and use their voice to relate and identify with their fellow members in the community.

Small packs of Skittles, chosen from the rainbow pride flag, are given out to students, with a blank space in the back for drawing. In addition students are given various stickers of the queer flags, This activity is a hit among students and is among the most anticipated club activities each year. 

GSA is not just a diversity club, but a movement — one that embodies Bronx Science’s spirit of acceptance, empowerment, and community. As students continue to navigate the complexities of their identities and sexuality, our GSA remains a true safe space and support for all students, regardless of their gender or sexual orientation.

GSA is not just a diversity club, but a movement — one that embodies Bronx Science’s spirit of acceptance, empowerment, and community.

About the Contributor
Vanessa Encarnacion, Staff Reporter
Vanessa Encarnacion is an Arts & Entertainment and Social Media Editor for ‘The Science Survey.’ She enjoys the story-telling aspects of journalistic writing along with its ability to provide new perspectives on the world that we think we know. She finds photography to represent perfect time-capsules of important moments, considering photography to be one of the most precise types of art. Outside of journalism, Vanessa enjoys exploring other art forms, such as film and music. She plans to study statistics in college, and hopes to one day work as a producer for films and television.