Tchotchkes: Priceless Collections or Useless Junk?

Why do people collect tchotchkes? What value do seemingly unimportant items hold in the lives of Bronx Science students?
Yasmine Salha ’24 collected these porcelain sheep because they reminded her of her grandmother’s house. She shared this experience with her mother, making it all the more special.

The ‘skeletons’ in my closet are not shameful objects that I need to hide. Rather, they are items that I have collected throughout my life that carry enough meaning that I hold onto them. Many of my tchotchkes are trinkets, decorative, miscellaneous items. The word “tchotchke” is Slavic in origin, meaning an inexpensive decorative object, but it carries many connotations beyond “trinket,” one being “junk.” In my family, I am notorious for collecting random things. While my sister resigned many of them to “junk” years ago, I find myself sentimental and open to the possibilities each tchotchke has to offer. I sit beside a drawer of them and rifle through, rediscovering fragments of the happiest moments in my life; a birthday card from my elementary school friend, a glass elephant figurine that I won at Dave & Busters, a deteriorating tamarind-seed game from my grandparents’ house. Despite how long my day might have been, these tchotchkes bring a smile to my face when I take the time to appreciate them. Much like me, many Bronx Science students have their own sentimental collections of objects that pique their interest. While the Bronx Science community is constantly rushing about, in our free time, what are the items that bring light into our lives?

Perception of Tchotchkes

In an interview with Romi Drubetskoy ’24 — who collects porcelain animals — she and I discussed the significance of small collections and seemingly random items. We explored the idea that these baubles gain their true value from the meaning that they hold to specific people. “Tchotchkes are perfect for the purpose they serve, to be little mementos or physical manifestations of the things people love. They’re definitely precious items, and they’re cool because they represent how even the smallest things can be valuable,” said Drubestskoy, who likes to collect porcelain animals, among other things. 

Some people appreciate collections for what they are while others see them as the hoarding of useless things. “I like tchotchkes but I wouldn’t call them either junk or precious items. They may hold personal significance, but in general, they are not precious to everyone,” said Nina Mansfield ’24. This discrepancy between viewpoints can create a negative outlook on valuing keepsakes. Decluttering is an idea that has picked up a lot of support in the past several years. Influential figures such as Marie Kondo have devised methods to assist people in throwing away some of their sentimental items. The KonMari Method™ stresses the importance of reminding yourself that mementos are not memories. Nonetheless, the memories attached to tchotchkes are the reason why so many people keep them.

“Tchotchkes hold an intense value in that they’re one of the small things that people should be able to enjoy,” said Drubetskoy. She believes that the joy you get from enjoying small things is extremely precious and should be protected. “There is a negative outlook on having little ‘quirks’ and enjoyments that are not mainstream or ‘popular.’ Girls in particular are belittled when it comes to what they enjoy; their interests are labeled as ‘cute’ or ‘obsessive,’ taking away their actual importance. If something makes you happy, that should be what makes it important,” emphasized Drubestskoy. 

The physical act of keeping tchotchkes is ridiculed to a different level, however. How are collections of tchotchkes different from those of family heirlooms, for example? The idea of sentimental value faces rooted mockery. One explanation might be the backlash people, young women especially, face when they take an interest in something. “Fangirls” are labeled “obsessed,” “female,” “ditzy, annoying, and shallow,” explained Rebecca Smith of The Michigan Daily. When women enjoy various subjects, their happiness is shut down and described as crazy or hysterical. “Hearing this language that is often used to depict women holds the potential to be damaging to the self-image of young girls, often resulting in feelings of invalidation and shame,” said Aman Rahman of The University News. However, when it comes to interests that are considered “masculine,” the outlook on fans is very different. “For men who are interested in sports, the hypermasculinity displayed by some male fans when their favorite team loses is often justified as passion and devotion, rather than the neuroticism and obsession associated with women,” remarked Rahman. The feelings of judgment and embarrassment that surround people’s interests are not limited to one gender, but the stereotypes placed on certain hobbies can be rooted in gendered beliefs.  

Bronx Science Students’ Collections

Despite the societal tendency to disparage individuals’ interests, many students still maintain collections and display their tchotchkes. For many people, tchotchkes are a reminder of a happy moment. They do not need to be items sought out, just the trinkets that are special enough to save. Juliet Falk ’24, for instance, has a collection of items reminding her of her greatest accomplishments. “I collect crystal animal figurines and keep them on my bookshelf. It started as a tradition with my parents every time I had a major achievement, for the best grades, or even for birthdays. They are mostly gifts, so each was very exciting to receive, but I was able to pick out a few of them so those animals hold a special weight for me,” said Falk.

Similarly to Falk, Anabela Mehreteab ’26 has accumulated many possessions from sentimental gifts. “These range from letters to pictures, to figurines. Each holds a specific memory that is important to me and I display these items around my room as a reminder of my grandparents,” said Mehreteab. Each item is a memory that is important enough to not be forgotten or discarded. You can understand what a person values by the things they physically keep – a memento acts as a tether to the things that are most important to somebody. 

For the buyer and the owner, tchotchkes can be the tiny things that remind you of someone – they are a necessary purchase because they would make the perfect gift. Gifts do not need to be fancy, but rather just need to match the things people enjoy. “Miniature figures of animals, small stickers, or even personalized pens are all maybe not the fanciest of gifts, but their value lies in the meanings behind them. A friend’s favorite animal, their love for decorating, or their hobby for writing may not make up their entire individuality, but they are completely valid in bringing small joys. They’re also usually something that someone can keep on their person, so they can always carry around small mementos of happiness,” said Drubetskoy.

Yasmine Salha ’24 has had a similar experience to the one described by Drubetskoy. “My mom and I were once checking out a Housing Works shop, when we came across all these porcelain sheep scattered throughout the store. I made the joke that they looked like something my grandmother would display at her house, which my mom found hilarious, and then asked — half joking — if we should buy them all. I said ‘yes,’ and the poor woman at the checkout wrapped them all up for us and we biked them sixty blocks back home. These sheep, which I still display in my room, remind me of both my very fond relationship with my mom and my time spent in my grandmother’s house in Missouri, which I also hold very dear,” said Salha. She felt a tug to the sheep, which reminded her of the most important relationships and places in her life. They represent home and are a comforting presence, a reminder of the love that they are associated with.

While some tchotchkes are found by chance, many times, the owner seeks out the tchotchke to find another item that fits into their collection. “I have a ton of tiny porcelain figures, and I started collecting them after I went into an antique store and the owner gave me one for free. It was a little owl, and every time I would come in, she would give me a new one,” said Drubetskoy. Sometimes, it seems to be the other way around. “The store closed a few years ago, but I started seeing the figurines in random other places on my travels. Strange little stores would have them, and I’d start looking for them. Because they’re a bit odd, I have a memory tied to each one of everywhere I go and the people I meet while getting them. It’s super nice to be able to look at each one and remember where I was, the scenery, the people I met, maybe even the lessons I learned.” Each item becomes almost a game of finding another. Every time she crosses one, Drubetskoy feels a little tug that urges her to add it to her collection because of how perfectly it fits. 

“I collect different mugs from the places I visit. I feel like it’s a cool way to remember them while also having something that you can use. The stories that arise when people ask about them are super funny, and I enjoy reminiscing regarding all of the memories. Some are thrifted, while others are bought by me in gift shops or airports. I try to buy the ones that make me laugh, even if they aren’t from any new place, although most of them are from traveling,” said Mansfield. Keeping the best memories might be as simple as having a little reminder of them in everyday life. 

While many gifts are bought for their explicit value, tchotchkes emphasize the old saying, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” Each one gains its value from the importance that it has to a person, not from its monetary cost. To anybody else, it might be considered junk. 

The next time you are feeling down or are drawn to an enticing little shop, I implore you to step inside and see if you might stumble upon a tchotchke — a non-ticking watch, a loose poem, a little glass animal — that brings a smile to your face.

“Tchotchkes are perfect for the purpose they serve, to be little mementos or physical manifestations of the things people love. They’re definitely precious items, and they’re cool because they represent how even the smallest things can be valuable,” said Romi Drubetskoy ’24.

About the Contributors
Ayana Chari, Staff Reporter
Ayana Chari is a Copy Chief for 'The Science Survey.' She has always appreciated that works of journalism bring together fact and storytelling, informing readers while also being beautiful pieces of literature, ideally. Furthermore, Ayana believes that journalism has the ability to highlight injustices and hold people accountable through a telling of truth. Ayana enjoys writing about current events and politics, because they allow her to write objectively about how different groups of people are affected by policy. Moreover, she finds photojournalism appealing because it is an illustrative addition to writing that solidifies the overall message. Outside of journalism, Ayana is part of the Congressional Debate team, the Girls' Varsity Volleyball team, and is President of the Exposition Magazine. She has a great love for books and music, enjoying many genres in each. Ayana plans on studying political science and the humanities in college.
Yasmine Salha, Staff Reporter
Yasmine Salha is an Editor-in-Chief for ‘The Science Survey.’ She is a proponent of accessible journalism, and loves to simplify complex and controversial topics in her articles – especially within the realm of Middle Eastern politics – which fascinates her. Outside the classroom, Yasmine’s biggest passions are sports and the outdoors, which are also topics on which she frequently publishes stories. Yasmine would love to pursue some form of creative journalism in college, and is currently leaning towards documentary filmmaking, since she is intrigued by the medium’s added dimensions of picture and sound when pursuing a creative interpretation of the truth.